Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Huckleberry (or Blueberry) Syrup


I have four children.  That is eight extra hands to help pick huckleberries with me every July that I can make good use of.  Of course, it can take some doing to make those small hands actually kerplunk them into buckets instead of mouths- but the promise of this blueberry sauce and pancakes for supper usually does the trick.

The above photo required making a (THIRD!) batch of pancakes after supper and scrape the bottom of the syrup pan just to get this picture.  You BARELY got a picture.  So, yeah...it is edible.

Here is the recipe, which I doubled for my family of six (and will likely triple in the future.) 

1 c berries
1 T. butter
1/2 c. water
1/3 c, sugar (or honey)
1 t. cornstarch

Mix cornstarch and water and then all other ingredients to a saucepan and boil until berries have popped.  Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened.  

Super simple.  Super delicious.

No comments: